Monday, April 25, 2016

Magazine Madness!





We are creating magazine covers! The first thing I want you to do in preparing for your magazine cover is to learn about and practice using some of the words that are proven to grab peoples attention: You will read about each of these words and COME UP WITH ONE ORIGINAL MAGAZINE HEADLINE CONTAINING EACH WORD. Make it sound clever and interesting.

"I guarantee that this is the most important article you’ll ever read. Here you’ll discover new ideas that have been proven to save time and energy – oh, and make money. What you’ll love about these proven new ideas is that they are so easy to understand and safe to apply that you’ll get results that will improve the health of your business immediately!

According to the scientists at Yale University I should have had you eating out of the palm of my hand by the end of the introductory paragraph. You see, it contains all twelve of what their research says are the most persuasive words in the English language. They found that you don’t really need the fabled “gift of gab” if you infuse your pitch with these powerful persuading words.
In order of impact, the twelve great influencing words are:

1.    1.   Discover / Discovery
Discover(y) is special – Yale’s research showed that it had a universal appeal that outstripped every other English word in persuasion power. Discovery implies uncharted territory alive with excitement and adventure. What valuable treasures can your products and services help me to discover? 
  1. Easy
    Life is complicated enough – if those providing me with products and services can make it easy then count me in.  Easy is a particularly powerful word when used to describe something that is traditionally considered to be anything but. Remember that we are all basically lazy – we want to get the maximum output for the minimum input. In what ways can what you offer make my life easier?
  2. Guarantee
    We are all, to some extent, averse to risk, and the fear it generates is one of the most substantial obstacles that marketers or salespeople have to overcome. The word guarantee jumps off the page because it promises to do just that. An assurance of excellent on-going support or of money back in the event of a failure to meet my requirements makes it much easier for me to take the leap.How can you put my mind at rest?
  3. Health
    We all now know about the many threats to our own longevity and health, to that of our family and loved ones, and to our businesses. Self-preservation moves us all to action. How can you help me, my family, or my business to live longer more healthy lives? 
  4. Love
    Your clients and prospects don’t necessarily want to feel loved, but they do all want their suppliers to care about their needs and desires. Tell me, how can you prove to me the importance that you place on my needs? 
  5. Money
    Nobody is completely unmoved by opportunities to make or save money. Money attracts, motivates, and persuades. Be sure that your promotions, presentations, and sales presentations take into account the concern we all have for this essential commodity. Can you quantify how much money your service will help me make or save? 
  6. New
    Why do many products still use that old “New and Improved” slogan as an integral part of their advertising and promotion? Because it works! Most of us want to feel that we’re working with the most up to date knowledge, equipment, and supplies. What exactly is exciting and new about what you have to offer?
  7. Proven
    Now, while I want the very latest bleeding edge technology; the most up to date of everything, with the best service and support, and at the best possible cost, I really only want it if you can show me lots of situations where it is already proven. Contradiction?  Absolutely, but one you have to deal with. Who do you know who’s just like me and received all of the benefits you promise from using your products and services in exactly the way I intend to? 
  8. Results
    Precisely what tangible and valuable results will I get in return for giving you my money? Tell me all about them in terms that will appeal to me, in language I’ll understand, and with whatever backup materials you have to prove what you say - and I’ll seriously consider giving you my money.What’s in it for me? 
  9. Safety
    I want it all; action, adventure and excitement – with absolutely no risk to my family, my money, my business, or me. How can you help me feel more secure about doing business with you? Tell me: why should I feel safe with you?
  10. Save
    I don’t have enough time, money, or energy to do everything I want to do.  So, if you can really help me save any of these precious commodities then why are you keeping it to yourself?  Tell me what you can save me – detail how, how much, and how much it’ll cost me and you’ll get my attention every time. Just how much will I save by putting your system in?

112.  You -There are three topics of conversation which I will never tire – me, myself, and I. You can keep me engaged for hours just by ensuring that every comment you make is directed at me alone. You cannot overuse the word you. The word ‘you’ motivates, persuades, and sells. Don’t you find me fascinating?

13. Now, Tell me one theme you might like to focus on for your magazine. Cats? Cooking? Soccer? Animal training? Bikes? Skating? Art? School?

14. Come up with 3 possible titles for your magazine.
15. Come up with 5 fake article titles to go with your theme, and use those magic words above if possible!

No comments:

Post a Comment